The text of a news release issued by the Executive Board of Liberal Party on Tuesday night:
ST. JOHN’S, NL – Following the resignation of Yvonne Jones, Leader of the Liberal Party of Newfoundland & Labrador, Party President Judy Morrow expresses on behalf of the Executive Board her gratitude and admiration to Ms. Jones for her contribution and commitment to the Party during her time as Leader.
“Yvonne was a tremendous asset to the Party in her role as Leader and I look forward to her ongoing dedication,” said Morrow. “She has and will continue to work very hard for the people of the Party, the Province, and the District of Cartwright - L’Anse Au Clair.”
Following tonight’s meeting of the Executive Board, Morrow is pleased to announce that a selection process for a new Leader has been established.
The selection process is as follows:
- Nominations for leadership candidates shall open Wednesday, August 10, 2011 at Noon, closing Friday, August 12, 2011 at Noon.
- Interested candidates shall submit a letter expressing their interest. Letters shall be submitted c/o Judy Morrow, President to the below address:
Liberal Party of Newfoundland and Labrador, Beothuck Building, Suite 205 – 20 Crosbie Place St. John’s, NL A1B 3Y8
- Interested candidates shall submit a non-refundable $500 fee in addition to their letter of interest.
- Commencing at 2pm on Friday, August 12, 2011, the Executive Board shall engage in a 48-hour consultation process that will reach out to Liberals province-wide.
- The Executive Board shall convene at 2pm on Sunday, August 14, 2011, location TBA, to provide interested candidates an opportunity to address the Executive Board.
- in addition, the Executive Board shall consider and discuss the feedback received through the consultation process.
- At the conclusion of the above noted process, the Executive Board shall vote to determine the successful candidate for Leader.
“Despite the short timeframe in which the Party is operating prior to the General Election, I believe that we have established a democratic process that allows for the selection of a new Leader in an expeditious and efficient manner with input from Liberals across the province.”
Judy Morrow, President Liberal Party Office
C: (709) 727-3773 T: (709) 754-1813