27 April 2005

A medal for Tom Orsmby

Anyone who read my post over the weekend titled "D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! for Tommy O" will know that I criticized Tom Ormsby, John Efford's communications director, for leaving a story on VOCM that contradicted the CBC story on Friday night that John Efford was considering retiring from politics.

John's own media comments on Tuesday suggested that the federal minister is seeking medical advice before making any decision on his future in politics.

Well, let's be clear about my overall opinion.

Tom Ormsby deserves a medal.

He has one of the hardest jobs in the world, namely working as John Efford's communications director. If Tom gets out of the job with his sanity intact, he deserves to get some kind of gong.

Efford is one of those guys, like Danny Williams and a raft of others in politics, who keeps his own counsel. It's tough to get him to stay on message - meaning say what you need to say without going off on a tangent or adding in other stuff that just confuses or clouds things or gets you into trouble without cause. John is energetic, works hard and always has the best of intentions. But sometimes that just isn't enough.

Some guys - and it's usually a guy-thing - get cured of their total self-reliance by getting the crap kicked out of them once in the media. Sometimes it takes two whomps to sort them out. Some never learn.

Pretty well every public relations practitioner I know has at least one life-long friend in the guy who got advice, ignored it, got racked over the coals and then realized that what you told him beforehand was damned good advice.

Yosemite Sam. The camel. A two-by-four between the eyes. You can figure out the analogy, even if it isn't perfect.

So John backpeddles a bit from Friday. I still think David Cochrane's story on CBC and his interpretation were accurate based on the Efford interview he did on Friday. In fact, given the amount of time John spent talking about his poor health on Tuesday I still say odds are better for John leaving politics than staying around much longer.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out there was a telephone call or two to John encouraging him gently to "fix" the impression left by David Cochrane.

But overall, Efford is now trying to say that he is staying and will only go if his doctors tell him otherwise.

Having said that, I still think Tom should have corrected or clarified the VOCM story. VOCM is ultimately responsible for their stuff but if they put the weight on the wrong idea or misinterpret the comments Tom made or anyone else made, then there is always a way to get the perspective back on the right track. Both VO and Tommy O want to make sure the story is accurate.

Saying the minister has "no plans to withdraw from politics in the near future", as VOCM reported Tom as saying, sounds like spin. Regular readers of these scribbles know just how much I hate spin - half-truths. "I have no plans right now," said Mr. So-and-So. Logically, the question should follow: "Yeah, but what about tomorrow?" Tom doesn't strike me as a spinner so the VOCM story was off, but the comments were attributed to Tom. He winds up wearing them one way or another.

The thing is, it doesn't hurt to let people get a much deeper understanding of the issues facing a politician like John Efford. For example, if the docs tell John the problems are all self-inflicted, then maybe John could have said something like this: "I have been in politics for 20 years. Lately, I have not been looking after myself as well as I should be. So I'll have to fix that, if that's what my doctors tell me." He can transition out to a partisan attack, launch into a passionate talk about working for the people of the province. Anything - just tackle the main point fully and frankly up front.

Admit ya screwed up John, if that's the case; don't try to milk any false sympathy - it looks pathetic and demeaning. A guy who has been in politics as long as John Efford and accomplished as much should be talking straightforwardly. You are human, John. People understand human.

No one likes the smell of burning martyr.

This kick John has been on lately doesn't sound like the guy who used to dominate the House of Assembly and I am at a loss to understand what has happened.

Just remember that public relations is about relationships. They are long-term and involve human beings with all the failings that go with being human. Relationships are built on credibility. Spin is just a rot through everything, so avoid it.

And for Tom Ormsby, I won't patronize him by saying he has my sympathy. He has a tough job - one of the toughest around - for a whole bunch of reasons.

What Tom does have, though, is my respect, for whatever that is worth, for working in a hard environment and keeping his sanity.

Anytime he wants a beer, the drinks are on me - at least the first round is. I'll gladly lend him my ear in full confidence.

And if he wants to borrow my two-by-four, he's welcome to it.

It might come in handy.